Languages – Improvers Plus (3 modules)
Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR): A2
To develop the ability to deal with simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar topics and activities. To develop the ability to handle social exchanges.
Module 1: 11 weeks (22 hours)
Module 2: 11 weeks (22 hours)
Module 3: 11 weeks (22 hours)
Who is this course for?
For learners who:
- have completed “Improvers” level
- have previously studied the language for up to 100 hrs
- have completed GCSE some time ago
- have completed an A1 qualification in the language (European framework)
- have some knowledge of the language (who are able to talk about future and past events).
Extension of topics covered at Improvers level
- Meeting people
- Professional life
- House & Home
- Free time and entertainment
- Past and future events
- Giving an opinion
- Expressing emotions.
- Connectors (e.g. therefore), prepositions
- Adjectives / adverbs to create descriptions
- Modal verbs (e.g. can, may, must, would like)
- Basic knowledge of simple structures to express past, present and future tenses/timeframes where appropriate.
This is not an exhaustive list. Other topics and language functions may be added/replaced according to the needs of the language and the learners.
How will I be assessed?
This course has no formal qualification; however, your work in class will be assessed by your tutor in order to enhance your learning. You will be expected to take these assessments.
Throughout your course, you will be required to complete your Individual Learning Plan (or Personal Action Plan) which includes your learning objectives, long and short term goals.
You will have opportunities to review your own progress and reflect on how you can further improve your language skills. You will set up your own personal targets (task, project, etc.) which will be reviewed with your tutor via tutorials on a one-to-one basis.
A certificate of achievement may be requested on completion of the course.
What could this course lead to?
A course at Lower Intermediate 1*
*Please note that we cannot guarantee that this level will be offered as all courses are planned subject to sufficient demand.
How will I learn?
Using the four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. The emphasis at this level will be on acquiring and practising speaking and listening skills in order to get by in the country. There will be tutor input, group pair and individual work, and use of a range of audiovisual and IT resources. We aim to match the teaching to a wide range of individual learning styles and to make your learning enjoyable, challenging and rewarding. You will be given homework to complete after each session.
Some literacy, numeracy and IT skills can help you learn a language. We can give you guidance and support to acquire these.
Your commitments as a learner:
- Attend every session of your course. If you need to miss a class, please let your tutor know in advance; Learners should consider their personal commitments and circumstances that may prevent attendance before enrolling on a course as missed classes will affect their learning. Missed classes cannot be taken at another time;
- Have sufficient time for self-study and completion of homework; In order to maximise your learning, we strongly recommend that you spend at least 15 minutes every day (2 hours per week) on self-study, homework, language practice, etc.
- Complete the course.
- Complete all the assessments
Our courses are funded by the government on that understanding.
What do I need to bring with me?
You will need to bring a pen, paper, ring-binder and you may be required to purchase a course book.
If you need to purchase a coursebook you can do this from European Schoolbooks Ltd and get a 10% discount.
Go to www.eurobooks.co.uk - Click on Partners,
From the Search Options – Stage 1 dropdown menu - Click on Brasshouse Languages.
A list of books will be displayed per language - Select the book advised by your tutor - Click on Buy Now
Please Note: You do not need to open an account, just click on Checkout as a guest.