Languages – Beginners (Part 1 & Part 2)
Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR): Pre-A1
By the end of the course, learners will be able to understand and use simple phrases and questions to exchange information in familiar situations in the target language.
Part 1: 6 weeks - 12 hrs
Part 2: 6 weeks - 12 hrs
Who is this course for?
Part 1: The course is suitable for complete beginners with no prior knowledge of the language.
Part 2: The course is suitable for beginners who have just completed the Beginners Part 1 course or for those who have studied the language at very basic level for about 10 hours. As a minimum you should be able to introduce yourself, count up to 20, say where you live and what you do for a living.
Over part 1 and part 2, learners will acquire basic knowledge of:
- Personal information (e.g. nationality, family, occupation)
- Eating and drinking (e.g. ordering food and drinks in cafés and restaurants)
- Shopping and services (e.g. post office, hotel booking, directions, travelling)
- Introduction to the language alphabet (for non-Roman script languages)
- Formal and informal language if appropriate
- Negative structure
- Words used to link ideas, e.g. and, but, also
- How to ask questions
- The basic rules of pronunciation
- Simple structures to express like / dislike
- Present tense / timeframe with frequently used verbs / structures
- Basic numerical data.
Please note that the above topics and language functions may vary according to the needs of the learners.
How will I be assessed?
This course has no formal qualification; however, your work in class will be assessed by your tutor in order to enhance your learning. You will be expected to take these assessments.
Throughout your course, you will be required to complete your Individual Learning Plan (or Personal Action Plan) which includes your learning objectives, long and short term goals.
You will have opportunities to review your own progress and reflect on how you can further improve your language skills. You will set up your own personal targets (task, project, etc.) which will be reviewed with your tutor via tutorials on a one-to-one basis.
A certificate of achievement will be awarded on completion of the course upon request.
What could this course lead to?
A course at Beginners Plus*
*Please note that we cannot guarantee that this level will be offered as all courses are planned subject to sufficient demand.
How will I learn?
Using the four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. The emphasis at this level will be on acquiring and practising speaking and listening skills in order to get by in the country. There will be tutor input, group pair and individual work, and use of a range of audiovisual and IT resources. We aim to match the teaching to a wide range of individual learning styles and to make your learning enjoyable, challenging and rewarding. You will be given homework to complete after each session.
Some literacy, numeracy and IT skills can help you learn a language. We can give you guidance and support to acquire these.
Your commitments as a learner:
- Attend every session of your course. If you need to miss a class, please let your tutor know in advance; Learners should consider their personal commitments and circumstances that may prevent attendance before enrolling on a course as missed classes will affect their learning. Missed classes cannot be taken at another time;
- Have sufficient time for self-study and completion of homework; In order to maximise your learning, we strongly recommend that you spend at least 15 minutes every day (2 hours per week) on self-study, homework, language practice, etc.
- Complete the course
- Complete all the assessments.
Our courses are funded by the government on that understanding.
What do I need to bring with me?
You will need to bring a pen, paper, ring-binder and you may be required to purchase a course book.
If you need to purchase a coursebook you can do this from European Schoolbooks Ltd and get a 10% discount.
Go to www.eurobooks.co.uk - Click on Partners,
From the Search Options – Stage 1 dropdown menu - Click on Brasshouse Languages.
A list of books will be displayed per language - Select the book advised by your tutor - Click on Buy Now
Please Note: You do not need to open an account, just click on Checkout as a guest.