Languages – Latin Beginners Plus
By the end of the course, you will:
- understand more complex Latin for reading purposes
- understand the history and culture of Roman civilisation and its impact on the modern world.
32 hours – usually 16 weekly sessions of 2 hours across a term.
Who is this course for?
Learners who have completed our Beginners course in Latin or have some limited knowledge of Latin.
You will learn about:
- Life in Roman Britain, including the history of Roman occupation, British tribal rulers, and farms and villas such as Fishbourne
- Life in Roman Egypt, including a study of the city of Alexandria, glassmaking, the goddess Isis and advances in medicine and science
- Further progression in Latin grammar and vocabulary so as to be able to read more complex sentences by the end of the course.
This is not an exhaustive list. Other topics and language functions may be added/replaced according to the needs of the language and the learners.
How will I be assessed?
This course has no formal qualification; however your work in class will be assessed by your tutor in order to enhance your learning. You will be expected to take these assessments.
Will I gain any qualifications?
A certificate of achievement will be awarded on completion of the course.
What could this course lead to?
A Latin - Improvers course*
*Please note that we cannot guarantee that this level will be offered as all courses are planned subject to sufficient demand.
How will I learn?
Using the four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. The emphasis at this level will be on acquiring and practising speaking and listening skills in order to get by in the country. There will be tutor input, group pair and individual work, and use of a range of audiovisual and IT resources. We aim to match the teaching to a wide range of individual learning styles and to make your learning enjoyable, challenging and rewarding. You will be given homework to complete after each session.
Some literacy, numeracy and IT skills can help you learn a language. We can give you guidance and support to acquire these.
Your commitments as a learner
To achieve success on the course you will need to attend regularly. If you need to miss a class, please let us know in advance. You will need to ensure that you allow sufficient time for self-study and complete any homework set. You will be expected to complete all assessments and complete the full course.
What do I need to bring with me?
You will need to bring a pen, paper, ring-binder and you may be required to purchase a course book.
If you need to purchase a coursebook you can do this from European Schoolbooks Ltd and get a 10% discount.
Go to www.eurobooks.co.uk - Click on Partners,
From the Search Options – Stage 1 dropdown menu - Click on Brasshouse Languages.
A list of books will be displayed per language - Select the book advised by your tutor - Click on Buy Now
Please Note: You do not need to open an account, just click on Checkout as a guest.
- BBC languages for a range of online information, interactive activities, video clips and language learning tips to help you practice at home: www.bbc.co.uk/languages/
- CSCP – Cambridge Latin Course – activities: www.cambridgescp.com
- The BAES online course directory: www.learnbaes.uk
- The Brasshouse Language Centre website: www.brasshouse.ac.uk